can you have a double dns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you have a double dns

i read a tutorial on this webpage itself on how to set up the active directory but still have a question. I currently have a domain that is hosted at godaddy.com and i set the "name servers" to go to zoneedit.com(dont know if you have heard of this or not) to do my dns. I recently learned about this windows 2000 server thing and wanted to try it out. Apparently it does the DNS for me.(well i have to set it up to do so though ) So is it a bad thing if i have to DNS's. should i leave it the way it is or put my IP address of the windows 2000 server as the "Name server" itself at GoDaddy?

PLEASE HELP

thanks in advance

Normally you would have separate internal and external DNS zones, with the external zone managed by an ISP (GoDaddy.com) and your internal server managed locally.

The reason for this is that if you put your internal server as the name server, all DNS requests for your domain will be pointed at your server, increasing traffic to and from the internet and probably bringing your server to a crashing halt.

In general, if your public domain is xyz.com your internal domain should be xyz.corp or xyz.local. This avoids any internal conflicts.

Hope this helps
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X