Transferring roles on domain controllers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring roles on domain controllers

Hello, I have a domain controller running on a stand- alone server running on

Windows Server 2008. I have another Win Server 2008 R2 which I want to

promote as the primary domain controller and make the current DC the

secondary DC and later demote it from the network.

I have successfully transferred the Schema, PDC, RID and Infrastructure Roles,

but I keep getting some errors with Microsoft Exchange and other systems

complaining of cannot contact the DC.

Should I have completely SEIZED the role from the older DC or TRANSFERRED it

as I did?

Re: Transferring roles on domain controllers

You should have transferred them
    For exchange the new server will also need to be a Global Catalog and you may need to go into Exchange and specify the new DC -- use the BPA (assuming 2007 or above) to check which one it is using
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In addition, demoting the DC that holds the FSMO roles will gracefully transfer the roles to another DC. There's really no need to manually transfer them if you're demoting the DC. Make sure to reconfigure DNS on the clients (workstations and servers) to use the new DC as their primary DNS server.

Comment

As long as you have only one other DC -- dunno why but I've found demoting the only fsmo holder in a multi-dc environment splatters the fsmos in a random fashion across the remaining DCs
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X