No announcement yet.

Windows 2008/Exchange 2007 in a 2003 AD

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008/Exchange 2007 in a 2003 AD

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on the site for a while and I love what goes on here. Currently, though, I'm in need of some advice/guidance.

We are currently running a windows 2003 domain and as a part of it we have a windows 2003 exchange server running blackberry enterprise server that I believe is running it's own AD, but is still joined to our domain. I say "I believe" because I am not currently allowed access to the server to see how it's set up and this level of windows is not my native working area.

What I've been asked to do is to set up a Windows 2008 server running Exchange 2007 and then we'll transfer our email services from the 2003 server to the 2008 server. I've been trying to do some research on this subject but I'm not finding anything particularly conclusive. Does anyone have some steps/guides/tips on how I can set up the AD on this server so that it doesn't mess with our main AD, but can work as a separate domain? Or any other guides on setting up the rest of the exchange system?

Many thanks ahead of time, I know it's a tall order.

Re: Windows 2008/Exchange 2007 in a 2003 AD

When you say the Exchange server is "running its own AD", do you mean it is an additional domain controller in the domain?

IMHO first step is to get permission to analyse your current structure -- you cannot plan change without having that
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **