Forest Migration & Linked mailboxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forest Migration & Linked mailboxes

I am considering migrating two forests into one. We have a resource forest which has Exchange 2007 and linked mailboxes. The second forest contains our user accounts. Has anyone carried out a migration like this before?
    If so, what is the process of migration if you have linked mailboxes? The problem that I see is that the user will already have a user account in the resource forest. Will ADMT merge the two accounts into one? Will Exchange require a change any changes?
    Also, if i migrate a file server from one forest to another; will all of the file permissions be correct in the new forest for the migrated user accounts?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Forest Migration & Linked mailboxes

Hi,

So you are moving users from one forest to your resource forest where Exchange 2007 is present is it ?
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Thats Correct.

Comment

Hi,

For exchange you need to update couple of attributes on the user's in resource forest. What you can do is create a regular mailbox enabled user. now take ldp dump of that user, take ldp dump of linked mailbox account user and compare except unique values you will find couple of attribute that needs to be updated/modified in order for users to start accessing the mailbox in same forest as exchange is present in.
        We did it using powershell script

Another option would be rename the user acc and then migrate then using ADMT

For fileserver is bit tricky because you won't be able to do it using ADMT only accounts even if you disable sid filtering you need to have two way trust between forests which is not existing in this case.

If permissions are standard then you can use richcopy or robocopy script it and copy data over to new forest and reapply permissions but if it's different at various folder level then you need help of some sort of scripts which can record the permissions based on user's sam account and then modify to run it in new forest and reapply permissions.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Working...
        X