Removing the dead Domain details from the Forest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the dead Domain details from the Forest

I had two domain controller running in my office. Primary domain controller as mumdc1.octo and secondary domain as mumdc2.octo. My primary domain controller mumdc1.octo was crashed, hence I seized it on mumdc2.octo and all my FSMO roles are now running on mumdc2.octo.

Now I have added an additional domain controller as sap-test1.octo and every thing is working fine. But the problem is when I run the commad repadmin /syscall, the command tries to sync the old domain mumdc1.octo also and end up with error.

I just want to clean up all the details of mumdc1.octo from my domian.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Re: Removing the dead Domain details from the Forest

We don't know what OS you are running, so procedure may be slightly different, but there is an excellent article on the main site that covers all of the process:
    http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

btw, there is now no such thing as primary and secondary DCs -- all DCs are equal (but some are more equal than others )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition

Comment

Process for metadata cleanup is essentially the same
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i guess has he removed the old Dc from the sites and trusts container and added the priroties level for the same
          and please tell me the reason of cleaning the metadata cleanup.

regards
          Karthikeyan

Comment

Metadata cleanup is the process to remove a failed or missing DC from active directory

I presume you mean "sites and services" mmc as this is where DCs live -- "domains and trusts" has a different purpose.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks a lot, that article really worked for me.

Comment

Good -- how about your other issues?
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Now since i have completed the process of metadata cleanup, can I now go ahead and re-create my failed domain controller (mumdc1.octo) again. Or do I need to perform some more process before re-creating.

Comment

In theory yes, however if you can use a different name it will prevent any potential issues with information about the original DC anywhere on the network. I prefer to "retire" the name of any failed DCs
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

OK, certainly I will do that. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X