Offline Files and Folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline Files and Folders

I need to create a policy to enable a certain share to be available offline for all users.
    I create a new GPO and configured the Computer/User Settings under Admin Templates> Network > Offliine Files> Administrative Offline Files and Folders, to enable, and added the UNC to the share as \\servername\share.

I then log on as a test user on a computer, Shouldn't this setting automatic enable the offline files? Do i still need to map a drive and select Make available offline?
    I am using windows7 clients.

Thanks,

Re: Offline Files and Folders

Theoretically not...But it may be worth mapping it so it's available in my computer.

Can the clients see the UNC path you specify?

Comment

Yes the clients see the path just fine.
      Do i maybe need to edit the default domain policy instead of creating a new one?
      Thanks,

Comment

Nah not at all, create a new one but make sure you apply it to the correct OU.

As it's a user policy you are applying, make sure you link the GPO to the appropriate org unit that contains the users you want the policy to apply to.

I've never tried it without mapping a drive, but I'm guessing that as long as they have a shortcut to the UNC path then it should still be cached offline.

Comment

So to link it I just click on the OU and select link GPO. Then select my GPO and hit ok, right?

Comment

Yep - exactly.

So like I say as it's a GPO that affects the user rather than the computer, just make sure you link it to the OU your users are in.

Comment

put the share folder in the gpo as well so it will map to it when they log in.

from the desktop in command prompt type gpupdate /force

you may have to log off and back on up to 3 times for the gpo to take effect.

Comment

This is not working. I added the share to the GPO as \\server\share. I'see the folder and subfolders available but none of the files. They all have an "X" on them and can't open.

Any other ideas.

thanks,

Comment

Working...
                X