Active Directory Users and Computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Users and Computers

I work in an environment with multiple domains in a single forest. We recently added a new child domain and would like to know if it is possible to see the parent and the child domain at the same time when we launch Active Directory Users and Computers from a domain controller in the parent domain. To further clarify that we don't want to have to connect to the other domain just to see its resources.

Re: Active Directory Users and Computers

Have you tried creating an MMC with two instances of ADUC? I used to have that when we had two seperate domains (and forests basically).
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Well, no I haven't tried it. I had pondered it for a while yesterday but just never went through with it. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Comment

No problem... hope it works for you.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

This of course works. I just want to be absolutely certain that there isn't a way to do this with the integrated ADUC MMC. I am almost positive that there isn't but there are those here that believe it can be done. He also wants to be able to move objects (users, computers, OUs, etc) between the domains by simply dragging and dropping from the parent domain to the child domain and vice versa (both are in the same forest). Possible? I know about the command line utilities for doing this same thing.

Comment

We sue a multi-child domain setup at work and as far as i know you can't see the other child domains within your AD MMC only your own.

I could be wrong though

Comment

Yeah I have quickly gathered that. Although what tonyyeb posted last week as far as creating a custom MMC works just fine. We even took it a step further and included the Active Directory Migration Tool to the MMC so now we can move objects between domains rather easily.

Comment

reating your own custom MMC's always seems to be the best option.

Comment

Working...
                X