Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot rejoin computer to domain using the same name

Hi peeps,

I am having a brain fart. I have several computers on my work network that are using the Windows Vista OS. I have created an image of Windows 7 using the Microsoft tools. The Image installs very nice, I have also used just the MS DVD. But there is something I am stuck on, (brain fart). When the computers are re-installed with Win7, I would like to keep them the name that they were when they were Windows Vista. I have begun the process, and I am having issues reconnecting the computers to the Domain with the same name as they were. They join, but some I cannot ping, and some I can.

I have tried the below:
    1. Deleting the computer from AD before the Image Process
    2. leaving the computer in AD and joining it anyways
    3. This has seemed to work on a few: Delete from AD, join computer to Domain with any name, join to WORKGROUP, Join to Domain with needed (original) name.

What am I missing?

I believe it has something to do with a SID, but when I install my Image (or from DVD) I do not get the proper response from AD or the network.

Anyone have any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Re: Cannot rejoin computer to domain using the same name

Did you SYSPREP your machines before imaging? If not, you really should have!

Try resetting the computer account and then joining the domain
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Mark Russinovich on SIDs

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussi...3/3291024.aspx

SIDs are (almost) never exposed outside the computer they belong to. after getting together with security and deployment teams within MS, they were unable to come up with any scenario where a duplicate sid would matter

thus, he retired newsid..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I have not tried to SYSPREP a machine that I am going to re-image from Vista to Win7. I did not think that doing a sysprep would matter on the machine since it was getting wiped clean and Win 7 was being freshly installed from CD or another Image. However I do understand that doing a SYSPrep will delete ceratin files from the computer, but installing an image that you built from a sysprep'ed computer should also create its own SIDs when the new OS is installed.

I will perform the Sysprep on a Vista computer before I install Win7 to see how that works.

Brent

Comment

Sysprep is not something that you run on the machine before you image it. It is a way to image. I don't think that it is an issue in your situation since you are using a MS DVD. What you may want to consider though is using a system like GHOST and pulling a sysprep image right after the reboot (before sysprep starts building). W7 has made it very nice (with audit mode, etc.).

Comment

Er.. no...
            Sysprep is nothing to do with imaging -- that comes afterwards
            It is part of preparing to image, by removing activation, SID, domain membership and other properties to revert the prepared machine to the "out of box experience" (not removing customisation like installed apps, though)

No reason you cannot sysprep a machine and not image it (e.g. testing a reference machine)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

After you delete or reset the computer account you'll need to wait for that change to replicate through-out your domain before you'll be able to rejoin using the same name. This could take awhile depending on if you have remote sites and what their replication interval is set to. I bet this is part of your problem because joining to workgroup first then to the domain seems to work. The extra time sitting in a workgroup is probably giving replication the the extra time it needs to finish.

I would also delete the DNS record of the old workstation before I joined the new one. The new device probably won't have access to dynamically update the old record. When the old record gets scavenged, you'll no longer be able to ping the new workstation by name.

Comment

Did you format the partition prior to installing Windows 7?

Comment

Working...
                X