No announcement yet.

moving dns from failing AD Server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving dns from failing AD Server

I am taking a failing AD Server (which is also the domain dns server) and trying to setup a different machine to be the AD primary.

I have installed DNS on the "new" machine. I have set the dns ip on the machine to point to itself. I have setup nothing in dns yet. I want to have the "new"machine pull the dns zones, etc from the failed AD Server. Once that is done, then run DCPromo on the "new" machine to make it the domain primary AD Server.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: moving dns from failing AD Server

You would be better to DCPromo it first and then, if your DNS zones are AD integrated, you can get them automatically when you add the DNS role
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I know I am being thick.
      I have a server running 2003. It is NOT a member server of the domain, it is just a joined computer. I went to add/remove programs and selected dns and let windows install it. I was then going to run DCPromo and hope to get all the goodies from the failing AD Server.

Should I have added DNS after DCPromo ? Should I have added DNS is a different way ?

thanks for guidance. I am not a AD guru.

the way you have added the dns role is perfectly fine.
        when you run DCPROMO, it will download the DNS details and store them for you automatically.

the server doesn't need to be a member of the domain to be promoted, it's fine as it is.

the only tyhing you might want to do is change the dns setting on the new server to point to the existing dns server - it will need to be able to look up the domain so it can join it, and if it's pointing to itself, it probably can't
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point