Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal AD DNS issues Please Help !!

Windows 2000 Server AD DNS

My domain is named calgary.mydomain.com and there is mydomain.com but it is not inside my network.
    There are websites
    1. www.collinsbarrow.com
    2. OWA (mymail.collinsbarrow.net)
    3. www.mri-toronto.com

Internally no one is able to access theses sites. This issue was noticed early last week and I am still at a lost for the cause or resolution.

ON server 172.x.x.x in IIS I have an entry for
    CBNational (if I right click and browse it will take me to the site)
    www.mri-toronto.com (if I right click and browse it will NOT take me to the site)

ON server 172.x.y.z (mail server Exchange 2003) in IIS I have an entry for
    mymail.collinsbarrow.net (if I right click and browse it will take me to the site)

Site 1. is accessible using the IP of one of our internal servers 172.x.x.x
    Site 2. is accessible using the IP of one of our internal servers 172.x.y.z
    Site 3. cant even access not sure which IP will make it accessible (not as important as site 1 and 2)

In my DNS I manually entered New Host(A) record using National as the name and 172.x.x.x for the IP. now I am able to access the site using http://national.
    I need to be able to access the site using its full naming (www.collinsbarrow.com). I think if I figure the one site out it will maybe help me out with the others.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Re: Internal AD DNS issues Please Help !!

Can your users browse ANY external site?

Internal DNS should be configured as the ONLY DNS for the network clients and servers. No ISP DNS in their configuration!

On that DNS config forwarders and point to your ISP's DNS.

Use NSLOOKUP to test internal name resolution and external resolution.

Make sure you do NOT have any HOSTS files on the servers and clients, or if you do, make sure they don't hold entries for these domains.

If internal AD domain name is exactly the same as external DNS domain name (which in most cases it a setup I try to avoid) then you'll have an internal DNS zone with the same name. In it manually create A record entries for the websites.

If the above is not true, then there *SHOULD* be no problem in the name resolution for these sites, as the clients query the internal DNS, it looks for the records and can't find any, then it forwards the query to the ISP's DNS which *SHOULD* know the answer or at least be able to get the answer.

If all fails, as a last and temporay resort, you can add new zones to the internal DNS and have them contain the appropriate A records for these websies. I.e. one zone for each DNS domain name. This should be avoided, if possible, as a normal DNS configuration is supposed to take care of this (again, only if internal AD domain name is NOT the same as the external DNS domain name).
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Internal AD DNS issues Please Help !!

Thank you very much for all your help!
      The issue I am having is quite out of the ordinary.

All users are able to access outside website fine no problems there thus the DNS forwarders are pointed to my ISP's DNS.

now when I run an nslookup I get the following the first time:
      C:\>nslookup www.collinsbarrow.com
      Server: DC.calgary.collinsbarrow.com
      Address: 172.y.y.y

DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      DNS request timed out.
      timeout was 2 seconds.
      *** Request to DC.calgary.collinsbarrow.com timed-out

If I run it a second time I get

C:\>nslookup www.collinsbarrow.com
      Address: 172.y.y.y

Non-authoritative answer:
      Name: www.collinsbarrow.com.collinsbarrow.com
      Address: 216.x.x.x

C:\>nslookup national
      Address: 172.x.x.x

Name: national.calgary.collinsbarrow.com
      Address: 172.x.y.z

We also dont have any host files.

Could you possible tell me what to look for in DNS that may be routing the wrong info an entry. Or detailed instruction if you have on how to manually create entries if I have to.

Thanks for all the info greatly valued !

Comment

Working...
      X