Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push install / upgrade of MS Office 2010 through GPO

Hi,

is it possible to push install the Microsoft Office 2010 Installation through Active Directory GPO with the following behavior:

1. if there is no MS Office installed then install one silently in the background and make it available to the user automatically without user interaction

2. if there is old version eg. 2003 and 2007, remove it or upgrade it into 2010.

3. only selected user not domain wide ?

Can it be done through Active directory Group Policy object with MS Office 2007 DVD from boxed product ? eg. FPP

My Domain Controller is Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2 64 bit

Thanks.

Re: Push install / upgrade of MS Office 2010 through GPO

Hi,

As long as it's packaged in MSI you can do it.

Do you already have a software installation gpo in place for 2007 and you want to upgrade it.

Please also note that if multiple user update similatenously it will put a load on network and server as well.
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
      Hi,

As long as it's packaged in MSI you can do it.

Do you already have a software installation gpo in place for 2007 and you want to upgrade it.

Please also note that if multiple user update similatenously it will put a load on network and server as well.
      No I don't think so, how to make it as .MSI file ?

Hm... does GPO select random time to push install those users ? or shall I create a container OU, assign GPO and then randomly dropping user object to that GPO ?

Comment

Hi,

There are many tools available to package into msi
        one of them is http://www.appdeploy.com/tools/repackager/
        however i haven't used it myself personally but you can give it a try

You can either assign or asisng/publish to computers or users depending upon your requirement and setup

if you move user from one ou to another then your ou specific gpo may not be applicable.
        what you can do it a create a group and make users member of that group. place that group under a different ou where you can apply gpo without moving users
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

You can install office by using a startup script on the machine policy. Office is not installed through msi.
          If you want office to depend on the user I think something like App-V is needed to repackage office.
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
            Hi,

There are many tools available to package into msi
            one of them is http://www.appdeploy.com/tools/repackager/
            however i haven't used it myself personally but you can give it a try

You can either assign or asisng/publish to computers or users depending upon your requirement and setup

if you move user from one ou to another then your ou specific gpo may not be applicable.
            what you can do it a create a group and make users member of that group. place that group under a different ou where you can apply gpo without moving users
            ah yes, and the group here is that must be security - UNIVERSAL not distribution

Comment

Working...
            X