Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate DC to new hardware

Hi

Im planning on migrating an old dc to new hardware.
    Im thinking about using acronis with universal restore option.
    I have read that using imaging can lead to usn rollback problem.

I want to avoid installing a new dc and transfering all the settings DHCP,wins, TS licensing etc...

My plan is:
    1. transfer all FSMO's to anothe DC
    2. shutdown the DC and boot from acronis disc
    3. create an image to an external disc
    4. boot the new hardware and deploy the image with universal restore

I still cant see how this can lead to USN rollback

Can someone please help?

Many Thanks

Gal

Re: Migrate DC to new hardware

ignore the usn rollback for now.

consider the fact that you're replacing old hardware with new hardware.

At the very least, it'll have different network and video drivers. At the worst, it'll have a separate HAL.

You can't really use disk images to migrate from old hardware to new hardware, at least not on something you care about..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

I think universal restore takes care of the drivers or HAL problem.
      I have done am image restore of servers (not domain controllers) with acronis with no problem.

More than that it has become "a knoladge issue" for me now to understand if there is an USN rollback problem in that case

Gal

Comment

Unless you have really good reasons to keep the machine name, your best bet would be to create the new machine as a member server and DCPROMO it, then transfer FSMOs normally. Demote, disjoin and flatten the old DC afterwards.

If you do need the name, create a temporary DC (virtually if needed) and demote the existing one, then remove from domain. Build the new hardware with the name and join to domain then promote it and move the FSMOs over
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Unless you have really good reasons to keep the machine name, your best bet would be to create the new machine as a member server and DCPROMO it, then transfer FSMOs normally. Demote, disjoin and flatten the old DC afterwards.

If you do need the name, create a temporary DC (virtually if needed) and demote the existing one, then remove from domain. Build the new hardware with the name and join to domain then promote it and move the FSMOs over

+1...

http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

Domain controllers are VERY sensitive to hardware changes. I learned this the hard way doing VMWare P2V conversions. DCPROMO a new server and migrate FSMOs.
          Last edited by chrisknight; 5th December 2010, 01:47.

Comment

I also agree.
            I did exactly as statet above as I needed same machine name because of SQL server on DC...

Comment

Thanks,

I will setup a new machine and build a new DC..

Comment

Working...
              X