Domain Browsing Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Browsing Issues

I have a Windows 2000 AD domain with 2 DC's. server1 has the primary DHCP and DNS servers with Server2 acting as the backup.

A few weeks ago server1 suffered hardware failure and crashed. Needless to say we had no recent backup to resore from.

The server was rebuit manually and all the options (DHCP etc) rebuilt.

Everything seems to be running okay except that some machines on the network and certain applications are no longer browsing the domain correctly.

For example, we have a server with Backup Exec on it that has been backing up a number of servers in the domain. It is still running fine and backingup the machines but if I try to modify the selections or create new selections it cannot browse the domain, is says it is unavailable, yet if I add the shares manually they can be backed up.

This is not the only one, we have other apps (EG Dameware) that browes the domain but they cannot see the domain correctly either.

Browsing by \\servername is fine from the OS but niot from within the apps.

I have now ran out of ideas so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Domain Browsing Issues

Hearing this I'd say it's a WINS problem. Did you reinstall that as well? And if so, is the new server at the same IP as before?

Comment

WINS was reinstalled on the same server with the same IP address. A quick look does not seem to show anything wrong. Can you think of something specific I should look for?

Comment

Check and ensure that one of your servers holds the relevant FSMO roles.

I am presuming that server1 would have been the root server in your domain and thus would have lost the relevant roles that are on your first installed DC, Schema Master, RID Master, Infrastructure Master, PDC Emulator (I think these are the ones that are usually kept on the root machine)

This may not help but its worth checking.

Comment

That was already checked Wullieb1.

I believe I have checked most of the obvious stuff, that is why I am so puzzled.

Comment

Any errors in Event Viewer??

Comment

I am getting a few 8003 (browser election) errors, but not too many and once a day I get a 1419 error.

But that is about all.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieM
                WINS was reinstalled on the same server with the same IP address. A quick look does not seem to show anything wrong. Can you think of something specific I should look for?
                All DC's should be there (on all WINS servers) with their three records. Also, the 1c and 1e records for your domain.

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
                  All DC's should be there (on all WINS servers) with their three records. Also, the 1c and 1e records for your domain.

Yes the three entries fot the server are there, and the 1c and 1e entries for the domain.

the 1e record appears to be pointing to another address on the subnet, one that is not in use(?).

Is there a way to change this to the address for the DC?

Comment

Event ID 1419

Do any of your machines have the windows firewall enabled?? I was getting these errors and it turned out that the windows firewall was blocking the relevant ports.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                      Event ID 1419

Do any of your machines have the windows firewall enabled?? I was getting these errors and it turned out that the windows firewall was blocking the relevant ports.

A few workstations do but these are not the machines with the issues.

Comment

> the 1e record appears to be pointing to another address on the subnet

That could be the problem. Is the 1B (domain) record bad as well? It should point to the PDCe. Remove the bad records, and run nbtstat -RR on the PDCe.

Comment

That could be the problem. Is the 1B (domain) record bad as well? It should point to the PDCe. Remove the bad records, and run nbtstat -RR on the PDCe.
                          The 1b record looks okay, it is giving the IP address of the DC.

Just to confirm, in WINS I shoudl delete the 1e (Normal Group Name) record and then run nbtstat -RR on the DC?

Comment

Also what effect will doing this on the live betwork have (if any)?

Comment

> Also what effect will doing this on the live betwork have (if any)?

Nothing much. The 1e record is only used for browsing... and that is broken anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X