No announcement yet.

Recovering group membership of deleted contacts without restoring the contact

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering group membership of deleted contacts without restoring the contact

Hi All,
    I have a bit of a strange scenario and would be grateful for any help that you can provide.

We had contacts for a company (company B) that we merged with - we have separate forests. My company (company A) had an OU called B which contained company B's contacts and vice versa.

We had no good method of replication so many contacts went stale over time.

We now have a method of replication so I had to delete the contacts in OU B before we could populate AD with their contacts.

I've deleted about 2000 contacts and they were re-created with our new inter-forest replication procedure.

The problem is that there were a small number of contacts in OU B that were members of distribution lists.

Is there any way of finding out the group membership of the old contacts without restoring them. There were probably less than 20 of these contacts that were in groups and I should have recorded that information before I deleted them but I didn't. I could find several articles on recovering objects and restoring them and then restoring their group membership but that's not really what I want to do (the restored contacts would have the same e-mail as existing contacts and that wouldn't be good)... I just want to find out what the old group membership was for the old contacts without restoring them. Does anyone know how this can be done?

This is a 2003 native AD domain

BTW, I used ADFind and I now have a file with the objectGUID for each tombstoned contact. Is there any way that I can query AD with that information to get the old group membership?

Thanks in advance,