Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active Directory 2003 with two offline location?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory 2003 with two offline location?

Hello All,

I have a situation that i need to set 2k3 AD with two location buildings .

Currently no network link between two location and each location have more than 200 pc's+servers ,now the issue is like that we need to finish the site AD before network link will be establish and that will take some time even one month.

I thought maybe to set the AD in one location with second AD controller and the take it to second location and join rest of pc's and servers , but for that i will need to seize AD roles and wont work when we will join to site links , that's where i asking you for any suggestion.

Please advice

Thanks

Re: Active Directory 2003 with two offline location?

You can do an "offline" install of AD by supplying a backup of the database from one server.
    When you get connected again, you will be able to replicate changes as long as it is well within the tombstone period
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

The way you are trying to do will not work out. You can't setup additional domain controller and then take it to another location and then join users and pc to it and latter configure site link bw primary and secondary/additional domain controller.
      Thanks & Regards
      v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
      Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
      Independent IT Consultant and Architect
      Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

if you're using Server 2008, then you can do an offline promotion, there's plenty of doco around on how to do this.

Don\'t think you can do it with 2003 though.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          if you're using Server 2008, then you can do an offline promotion, there's plenty of doco around on how to do this.

Don\'t think you can do it with 2003 though.
          Pretty sure you can:
          But, with hindsight, I think you still need a connection to inform the main site of the new DC -- cuts out AD replication, thats all.

Why can't you establish a temporary VPN -- even over a 3G connection -- until the perm one is up?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi,

The same i would suggest use regular internet connection and setup a vpn.
            Thanks & Regards
            v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
            Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
            Independent IT Consultant and Architect
            Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Working...
            X