Some domain users allowed to install programs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some domain users allowed to install programs

Hello, new to the site. During a security review we have found that some domain users are allowed to install programs. Why would some domain users be able to install and others not? Not sure where to start to find a solution. Thanks

Are they member of the Administrator group or worse, Domain Admins?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Check user rights in group policy as well
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You could also ask them. It may be that they were testing software and the privilege was never rescinded. Or, they may actually need that right.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hey all. Thanks for the reply. The users that are able to install are not domain admins but rather domain users which is why I am confused. Others that I have tested are also just domain users and I get an error as seen below which is the way it should be. Not sure where to look to fix. Thanks

"The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" and another message I have received during testing is "You must be logged in as an administrator when installing this program"

Comment

Check Software Restriction Policies (and AppLocker too) in Group Policies
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X