Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• users home drive mapping

Hey guys

we are slowly migrating off novell netware and we are soon to be migrating the users home directory

we plan to migrate the data to something like \\server\users\%username%

what would be the best way to attach the users data to the users so that they map the drive at login?

thanks

Re: users home drive mapping

Hi,

can you provide more info abt your env.?
    you current platform
    user base
    AD Topology

based on these info we can suggest you some thing which will be useful rather than throwing ideas to try out.
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

ok right now we have netware syncing with AD running 3 DC's on 2003r2

we have 3 sites on a MPLS network

the users are all using XP machines

we have a user base of about 600 users

not sure if that is enough info

Comment

the best way would be to use the "Profile" tab in AD users and computers:

Connect "X:" to "\\server\home\%username%"
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

[users AD properties] Since you have around 600 users you can either use a script to modify all of them or you can use ADModify.Net to update the homeDir attribute of all the users in Bulk.

Another way would be to use GPO and a login script attached to users.
          Thanks & Regards
          v-2nas

Comment

when you do that with the profile tab, does it apply to new users???

if you do a login script to map the home directory should you use ABE?

Comment

Originally posted by krayzie View Post
              when you do that with the profile tab, does it apply to new users???

if you do a login script to map the home directory should you use ABE?
              a. You can create a user template that during copy will preserve this property and adjust it to the new username
              b. Normally the path will look like this: \\servername\sharename($)\%username%
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316353
              Please read:
              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ee809100.aspx
              Last edited by venom83; 5th November 2010, 12:18. Reason: Added more info on home folders.
              Regards,
              Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

Originally posted by krayzie View Post
                Hey guys

a.) we plan to migrate the data to something like \\server\users\%username%

b.) what would be the best way to attach the users data to the users so that
                they map the drive at login?
                Ok so you what is your requirement excalty. Some time packets get dropped in writting

1. User get MAP home drive, usually a public drive, drive letter mapped to user's folder on shared storage

2. Is it a Roaming Profile where user's my docs, desktop etc etc gets stored on shared drive? [ I don't think so that you are trying to do so but i may be wrong]

3. Do you want to restrict access to other's share. i.e. one user shudn't be able to access other's user data.....liked to point 1 additional you want to enable access based enumeration.

4. Your thoughts......
                Thanks & Regards
                v-2nas

Comment

Why not just use folder redirection for favorites, pictures and documents? You simply make a GPO with the settings and link it to the users OU. Works great.
                  gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Hi Guys

sorry to dig it back up again,

but my requirements are that we have a share H:\\server\users\%username%

for all users, these users should only be able to see their own %username%

and their %username% should be created on first logon to a pc or at user creation.

a login script via GPO will distribute this

no roaming profiles, or folder redirection, some users have GB's of data on their desktop/my documents that we do not want to store on our file servers

thanks guys!

Comment

Hi pal,
                      Look, folder redirection is the easiest way to do it; you can than disable it and the contents of the document's folders will remain in the redirected location.

Take a look at the following scenario:
                      I am a user in your environment. Lets say you used scripts to copy the contents of my "my documents" folder to a network drive. I perform a login to the computer and go as usual to "my documents" and see.... nothing.
                      Later, after angry phone calls and so on, the user is explained to use the H drive instead of "my documents".
                      Please remember that many programs default the initial "file" -> "save as" to "my documents", so eventually even the smartest user will end up with documents in both folders - local documents and network drive.

The way to prevent all this is to use folder redirection; this way a user is saving to "my documents" and to "H:" is actually saving to the same location. We work this way and it works great.

Your thoughts?
                      Last edited by venom83; 10th February 2011, 09:52.
                      Regards,
                      Leonid

Comment

Leonid,

yes you are absolutly right,we have set up folder redirection with TS for a different solution and it works great! central respository with one node to backup.. perfect..

but with this instance, with folder redirection on everyone's computer, just not sure how it will work in terms of size of data in the users folder, i know most users like to use their desktop as their storage pool and it wouldnt be uncommon to see a few GB of data sitting on their desktop as well,

how would we cope with the possibily of say 300-400(lets take 350users) x (anywhere from 0-10GB of data sitting on their desktop, lets take 3GB for each user) = approximatly 1TB of data, SAN disk is not cheap.

what we have currently on our old Novell H:\ drive is 300GB and it is working fine.

how is folder redirection going to work accross sites too? from memory our link is anywhere from 2-4MB link to 3 sites

thanks muchly

Comment

For the sites issue, either use a site level GPO to redirect users to the local storage location or, if you have roaming users, use DFS to synchronise a single location to all 3 sites.

Redirecting folders does not generate excess network traffic as files are only transferred when they are accessed.

Your users will need TRAINING that the desktop is NOT the location for storage. There is a GPO option to not save desktop files on log off which may help "train" them.
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can use this post for help in preventing saving data to desktop:
                            http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=274
                            Let us know if you need anything else.
                            Regards,
                            Leonid

Comment

Working...
                            X