Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain upgrade, 2000 to 2008

Hi All,

I have a domain with one domain controller holding all roles on server 2000 standard. I have a member server on 2008 SP1. I want to promote the 2008 server to have all roles and then retire the old server.

I would like to know if I can promote the 2008 member server and then transfer the roles from the 2000 server to it and then demote and retire the old server. Or, do I need to upgrade the OS of the current 2000 domain controller to Server 2008 and then promote the 2008 server, etc.

Please see the exerpts from Technet below. The first exerpt says, "To upgrade Windows 2000 Active Directory domains to Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) domains," which says "domains" not "domain controllers." My interpretation from this exerpt is that b/c my domain is run by a 2000 domain controller, I must upgrade it 2003 and then to 2008. The second exerpt is noting options for this scenario and my interpretation of that is the opposite, which is that you can transfer the roles to the 2008 server.

(I was not able to include the URL's for these exerpts until I have posted more than 5 times at Petri.)

-To upgrade Windows 2000 Active Directory domains to Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) domains, you must perform an in-place upgrade of all existing domain controllers running Windows 2000 in the forest to domain controllers running Windows Server 2003. Then, perform an in-place upgrade of those domain controllers to Windows Server 2008. A direct in-place upgrade of a Windows 2000 edition to a Windows Server 2008 edition is not supported.

In each domain, upgrade the operating system on the domain controller that holds the primary domain controller (PDC) emulator operations master role, or transfer the role to a domain controller that runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thanks very much for your input!

R

Re: Domain upgrade, 2000 to 2008

Yes you can promote a WS08 member server to a DC in a Windows 2000 domain as long as the forestprep and domainprep have been performed.

The section of the upgrading active directory guide that you clipped was referring to doing an in-place upgrade of the OS on an existing W2K DC on the same hardware.

Comment

Working...
    X