change new 2003 DC's network?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change new 2003 DC's network?

Hey all, can you tell me if I should expect to find any issues doing the following:

1. Added a new DC to a 2003 domain.
    2. Installed DNS, WINS, DHCP (not activated)

It's currently set with a static IP at on my network (172.16.251.0/24) and I would like to move it to a well connected other network (172.16.1.0/24).

After I re-ip and update all the IP and related settings, should the DC start talking fine with the original DC? There is no firewall between the two networks.

Thanks!!
    Rafael

Re: change new 2003 DC's network?

Change the IP first, then shutdown and move the server. Doing it this way will first update DNS, which is the major source of problems in such a sitation. If you should have trouble after all, first think DNS.

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
      Change the IP first, then shutdown and move the server. Doing it this way will first update DNS, which is the major source of problems in such a sitation. If you should have trouble after all, first think DNS.
      Thanks for the reply - I do have one question though - when I change the IP, won't the server only be able to talk to its own DNS services until I move it?

Comment

Absolutely. If you change the IP in its current subnet it cannot talk to anything but itself. The idea is to change the IP, and to shutdown immediately after.

Note: lot's of magic going on under the hood here. One aspect is that if you change the IP of the server in the GUI it will immediately register the new IP in DNS and force replication with a direct partner, before actually changing the IP so that it cannot communicate anymore.

Comment

Working...
        X