No announcement yet.

Name change Alias

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name change Alias

Hi Guys, Thanks a lot for your help, advice and support in advance. I have an AD users who´s name was changed as a result of marriage and after the change her mailbox was migrated to Office365 and each time she sends a mail the emails has her first name and her formal last name as the sender.............Pls my question is, how do I change this so that it will reflect her first name and her current new last name...? Her AD properties looks like the following

User login name:Her current last name

User login name(pre-windows 2000):Her formal last name (Can I change this to her current last name)

In our Exchange server which we still has in spite of her mailbox been migrated to Office365 her Mailbox properties look like this:

Name : Her current last name

Alias : Her formal last name (Can I change this to current last name)

We've had a few of these. You shouldn't have any issues with changing the pre-windows-2000 label to the new last name. The info in Exchange should follow that, after a few minutes. The behind-the-scenes SID info about the user's account won't change, so the links between AD & Exchange should be fine.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

How are you getting the information into O365 - DirSync or manual entry?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks a guys for the advice much appreciation....Ossian we are using DirSync--AD connect

I also saw this on the AD attribute editor of the user .---Mail: the user current email address with firstname and her married name
          MailNichname : Her Previous lastname.
          Rickles....I have changed her pre-windows-2000 to her current first and current married name and I was wondering if I could also change the Attribute editor MailNickname or should I just leave it as is and wait for the AD to update the change I made on her pre-windows-2000 .

To be honest I have no experience with that specific attribute, so can't say. I'd leave it for a day or 2 and see how the standard attributes update. In the meantime, I'll have to have a look around to see what that is and how it's used. If I come up with anything pressing I'll add it here.

UPDATE: Have a read of this short article from MS: ''. My Exchange environment is an Enterprise deployment without 'cloud' connectivity, so this hadn't come up. The article gives some plain advice about the MailNickname attribute, and what you should do.
            Last edited by RicklesP; 14th October 2016, 19:58. Reason: Extra info
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **