Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• site and services couple of questions

hi,
    I am doing some AD troubleshooting... have some questions.
    1. in AD Sites and services with multiple Sites that have DCs in many of them there are no NTDS Settings object in most of the sites with DCs (see pic)
    is it normal? My sites with DCs do have NDTS Settings.
    2. When right click on NTDS Settings object, there is a menu with options "Replicate Configuration from the selected DC" and "Replicate Configuration to the selected DC" in 2 of my sites.
    However there is a site with the menu without these options on NTDS Settings object. (Menu: New AD Domain services connection, Find etc )

Why the menus are different?

Attached Files
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

NO, its not normal - all DCs should appear with the settings
    Its worth a try deleting the site and associated subnets, then recreating them - DCs should move to the correct site based on their IP afterwards

If not, someone else found the same (https://www.petri.com/forums/forum/m...s-in-adsi-edit) and had to demote the DCs too, which is a bit drastic. Check your event logs to see if you have the other symptoms mentioned in the link
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks Ossian. Can we just guess what could be the problem with missing NTDS settings object.
      I can see this behavior in more than 100 sites in AD that definitely I do not manage.

What about my question #2. Why no Menu with replication option?
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Sorry, missed Q2
        Since the replication links are contained in the NTDS object, it sort of follows that no NTDS means no replication option.

I think you have major problems with your AD! Do you have other admins you can discuss it with?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X