No announcement yet.

Active Directory Delete Computer Account Woes.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Delete Computer Account Woes.

I tried deleting an AD computer account, but am getting a message stating that the object contains other objects. Did a bit of checking and seen it contains an empty looking folder called SockAuthAD. looking at some of the other articles I can find on this people are happy to remove these subtree objects if they are printers.

Does anyone know what the folder SockAuthAD is and is it safe to just delete both the computer account and the nested SockAuthAD folder as well?

Thanks in advance.

Assuming you've had 'Advanced Features' turned on while looking at the computer object in ADUC, and the folder object is empty, ask yourself 1 question: is there a physical or virtual computer by that device name running on your domain now? If not, and no one's moaning about something that isn't working, toss it out.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Thanks for the reply, figured it out, its an old VM and it had a SQL Service Connection Point . Someone had mentioned on a forum be careful about deleting them in case its a corrupted link back to the AD root. In all honesty I was being too cautious, so deleted the SCP container and then the server itself. AD still works, so on to the next hassle or problem.

Appreciate the answer though and thanks for taking the time to have a look.