No announcement yet.

AD 2003 to 2008 migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD 2003 to 2008 migration

Windows 2003 Domain controller and exchange 2003 server- 32 bit running on the same server about 50 users. Can refer documents/sites to migrate windows 2008 server / excahnge 2007- 64 bitsame time. Thanks
    MCSE (2003 server : Active Directory, Security), MCSA,MCTS, MCP

Re: AD 2003 to 2008 migration

Get 2 new servers.
    Make one a DC / GC / DHCP / DNS etc
    Make other an Exchange server

Transfer FSMOs to new DC
    Move mailboxes, public folders and connectors to Exchange Server

Once everything has been moved, uninstall Exchange on old server, then unDCPROMO it.

Finally raise domain / forest FLs

will give you more info
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I worried to put two servers for 50 users and the budget.

So implemented additional DC, and Exchange server on the new server and did the roles transfer, mail box to the new server.

Connectors, recipient policies created in the new server and i stopped all the services in old exchange box. Here is my problem before i decommisioning my old server, my new exchange server always point to the OLD server GC and domain controller on the tab Global catalog server and the domain controller being used by this exchange server.

1. Can it be automatically point to my new server once decommisioned the old one?

2. Currently both of the servers are GC, and if i remove GC from my old server then my exchange doesn't work even i waited for a day for replication.
      My new exchange server can't recognize or auto discover itself as a GC and DC.

Pl. advise
      MCSE (2003 server : Active Directory, Security), MCSA,MCTS, MCP

First of all do the following,

DCdaig, netdaig and make sure they are clean, then from E2K7 box run exbpa
        You will find it in under Tools.
        Upload it for us to reveiw it.

r u sure your new dc is a GC tool? any not to be worried you can always hard code it since you have single forest/domain/site
        Thanks & Regards

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Here is the process for adding a new domain controller ( server 2008 R2 ) and moving your FSMO roles..
          Upgrade 2003 domain to 2008
          Allen White