No announcement yet.

Active Directory Domain Consolidation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Domain Consolidation

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the great forum, I really found it so helpful. That encouraged me to post my problem today.

I have three domain controllers that need to be cosolidated in one domain. the three domain controllers are having different name spaces, each of them has it own forest and a GC domain.

I do want to consolidate them in one new domain, running 2k8 server, the new domain will have a different name space.

Is it possible to do that without having any impact on the users.

has any of you done that before ?.

Please help.

Re: Active Directory Domain Consolidation

There is no magic pill..

You're probably going to need to make the domains trust each others, and move users and computers to the one that will remain.

You can do it with very little impact either manually or with help of some tools, depending on the schedule, amount of users, etc..
    VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

How many users are we talking about -- not too many since you have only one DC per domain?
      Anything else such as Exchange to consider

But gepeto is right -- establish trusts and run ADMT to move user and computer objects to new domain or, if you prefer, start from scratch and create new users / join computers to new domain
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks guys for your reply,

I do have around 100 users per domain, I do have three exchange servers, and three BIS servers that need to be consolidated as well.

Plus I have three subnets, separate subnet for each domain. but all of the subnets are communicating with each other through site to site 100M dedicated lines.