Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Descriptions in AD UAC?

Hi all,

I have a Server 2008 R2 DC. I have about 240 clients PCs/laptops. I use a specific naming convention with those clients, and in addition, when I build a new client, I always populate the "Computer Description" field in XP.

In years past and at my previous employer, whatever was in that XP "Computer Description" field would show up in AD Users and Computers.

But is doesn't here! HUH??!!

This is extremely useful to me because I populate that field with things that help me physically locate a machine in case I need to go to it.

I have Googled until I'm blue in the face and all I see are articles about scripting and other nonsense I don't understand or want to mess with. This can't be that hard...

I simply want whatever I put in the "Computer Description" field of an XP client to then show up in the "Description" column of Active Directory Users & Computers (in the Computers container).

The weirdest things is that of the 240 or so clients, TWO of them DO have descriptions. My laptop and a random 2003 server both show up with descriptions. Nothing else does...

Help!

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Computer Descriptions in AD UAC?

If you go out to a command prompt on one of your XP workstations and do a NET VIEW does the browse list of computers show the description?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMcD View Post
      If you go out to a command prompt on one of your XP workstations and do a NET VIEW does the browse list of computers show the description?
      Yes. Yes, it does.

Comment

Any other thoughts, please?

Comment

They are not related. The first one is a value stored in registry and the second one is an AD attribute.
          Maybe in your previous work you had some sort of script that parsed through the registry key and then updated AD with dsmod.
          That's just my gues though.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by WorldBuilder View Post
            Yes. Yes, it does.
            So your solution then, is to type "net view \\computername" - it will then show you the description field.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              So your solution then, is to type "net view \\computername" - it will then show you the description field.
              Hmmmmm... Will certainly work, but I was hoping AD would simply show me that automatically... I can't imagine what the purpose of the "Description" field even is then, if this won't, in fact, just show me...

Chris

Comment

check if this link helps you

http://forums.techarena.in/server-scripting/745471.htm

Comment

Originally posted by WorldBuilder View Post
                  Hmmmmm... Will certainly work, but I was hoping AD would simply show me that automatically... I can't imagine what the purpose of the "Description" field even is then, if this won't, in fact, just show me...

Chris
                  The "description" field on the XP side is NOT an AD attribute, so it doesn't show up in AD. The purpose of it is to provide descriptions for a non-AD environment.

It DOES show you the details, just not where you want it. If you want the AD Description field populated, populate it via AD.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I'm sure I have seen this behavior in the past as well actually... and we definitely did not have any scripts doing it. Maybe if you set the description before you join it to a domain then when you join it to a domain the description attribute for the newly created computer account in AD automatically gets set to the local PC description?
                    Software for IT Pros that I've written: http://www.cjwdev.co.uk/Software.html

My blog: http://cjwdev.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                    X