Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from Win2003 to Win2003R2 x64 in Mission Critical Environment

Hello there,
    I have 4 DC, 2 in my location and 2 in other site location running win 2003 SP2. We decide to replace these servers and bring in 4 new servers running win 2003 R2 x64.
    I go through steps that I need to take; your expertise and recommendations are highly appreciated. Our business is mission critical and we dont want this migration effect 24/7 running business.

In current environment Domain Functional Level is Windows 2003 and Forest Functional Level is Windows 2000.

Since we dont have any Windows 2000 DC, Id like to raise forest functional level to Windows 2003 before adprep,forest prep for Windows 2003R2. We have Exchange 2003 and CRM 4.0.7333.3 Servers. Do you think raising forest functional level or doing adprep,forest may affect these servers? What would you advise for the steps that I need to take in terms of Backing up the existing environment, checking Replication status, service pack levels, any Microsoft update to be removed or installed, Sysmantec antivirus settings, promoting new dcs, moving the operation master roles and demoting the existing dcs. Not to forget existing dcs have DHCP, DNS, print and file server roles. Would be wise to bring new dcs as member server and remove some of these roles before promote them? Do you suggest to keep one of the new dc 32bit in case there will be any compatibility issue for the existing systems like Rfax vs.?

After documenting the necessary steps, Id like to open a case to Microsoft before taking the first step. In case of a failure Id like to get them on the phone since the business must run somehow. Which number do I need to call for that in Canada?

It is a big project with tight deadline in September so any help would be most welcomed.

Thanks in Advance

Re: Migration from Win2003 to Win2003R2 x64 in Mission Critical Environment

Consider getting a consultant if you are not comfortable with it. MS may not open a case until there is a case to be opened (if you see what I mean) but the number will be on the MS web site.

Raising FLs is a no-risk operation, as is adprep. Note you will need to use the 32-bit binaries which are on the 2008 media (I assume your current DCs are 32 bit)

I have upgraded several domains from 2003 to 2008 and have found no issues, but if you are paranoid, take a DC offline first.

I would do it as follows:
    Well in advance, on old DHCP servers, exclude about 1/2 the addresses and reduce lease length to say 1 hour
    Add new machines as member servers
    DCPROMO
    Add DNS role (AD integrated)
    Confirm AD and DNS replication
    Make GCs
    Transfer FSMOs to new servers
    Add DHCP Role and create scope -- exclude addresses NOT excluded on old server and use new DNS servers
    Unauthorise old DHCP server -- clients will pick up new one rapidly
    Remove DHCP and DNS from old servers, then remove exclusions from new ones
    DCPROMO old servers

Is it a good idea to have DCs as file / print servers? -- major security risk, IMHO
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Why are you migrating from W2k3 to W2k3 R2 instead of Windows 2008?
      IMHO Windows 2003 R2 hasn't much to offer these days.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Dumber, we thought Windows 2008 R2 will be a huge step since we have 2003 domain and 2000 forest functional levels. This is a 24/7 mission critical environment and we dont want any of these operation cause to stop this business.
        Ossian, i will follow your recommendation, could you please give more details for taking a dc offline? I have also a test environment to implement these steps. Any article recommendations?
        I appeciate your time and consideration.
        All the best.

Comment

To take a DC offline:
          Either
          a) power off
          or
          b) unplug network cables
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can easily raise the domain and forest functional levels without the need to "migrate" to Windows 2003 R2.
            What dependencies do you have for your AD environment? Personally I'm not really impressed with mission critical environments. I do work in such environments all the time with different customers.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X