No announcement yet.

Authoritative Restore on a different domain controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authoritative Restore on a different domain controller

Got a weird request.

I have taken a system state backup from one of our DC on our prod domain and I intend to perform an authoritative restore on another DC using that VHD file on out test network, completely isolated network. Now, would that work given the fact that it is a backup from another DC and I am restoring it on another server?
    I actually tried and it gave me a warning saying "The specified backup is of a different machine than the current one. Restoring the backup to an alternate machine is not recommended as it might put the machine into an unstable state."

Anyone tried that with success? Not really looking at doing an LDIFDE import.

I am aware that System State backup is essentially for rolling back the state of system-state files to a point in time. Thus, to recover the SSB taken on one machine and restoring it on another (or on the same machine after format) is unsupported and not recommended.

well.I don't know if that is correct, because I have some issues.
    Last edited by Ossian; 10th April 2016, 17:11.

URL removed as irrelevant

What issues are you having, and how does it relate to the original post?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **