Spliting 2 companies with one DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spliting 2 companies with one DC

I have a client (Company A) who is breaking away from their sister company (Company B) who is currently providing the AD server. They of course would like this to be as seamless processes as possible.

My thought is to utilize one of Company A's existing server (MS Server 2k3 Standard) and make it a replica server on Company B's network. Then disconnect Company A from Company B's network and make Company A's DC the PDC.

I know how to stand up a replica server no problem, my question is:

1. How do I enable the FSMO Roles on Company A's server without removing them from Company B's PDC?

and

2. If Company B's domain name is XYZ.local and Company A would like to be ABC.local is there a way to do this without having to disjoin XYZ.local and joining ABC.local? (This is not a deal breaker if Company A stays using XYZ.local just curious)

Thanks
    Rich

Re: Spliting 2 companies with one DC

Far better, IMHO, to create a new AD forest (with the name you want), create a trust relationship and then use ADMT to move the relevant users and computers
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Far better, IMHO, to create a new AD forest (with the name you want), create a trust relationship and then use ADMT to move the relevant users and computers
      But would this require me to manually rejoin all of Company A's workstation to the new AD forest? The reason I ask is that they have 20 +/- employees that are road warriors who are spread across the country.

Comment

No, ADMT will move the objects to the new forest. Your roadwarriors might need to connect physically or via VPN to ensure their machines pick up the new domain but that is a one off. No rejoining should be needed

At the moment you risk them connecting to the old domain and being active there
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian, thanks for your help, I am fairly new to this process so excuse my ignorance.

The server Company A is going to use for the DC is currently acting as a file server which is currently joined to Company B's domain, XYZ.local along with an application server hosting Company A's SharePoint and Accounting applications.

Just to ensure that I understand the process correctly here are the steps that I believe I need to take:

1. Add the AD server role to the new server (Don't need to dis-join the server from XYZ.local first right?)

2. Run DCPROMO and create domain ABC.local

3. Establish a TWO-WAY Trust

4. Use ADMT to migrate Company A's Users, Groups, Computers, and Server from domain XYZ.local to new DC ABC.local

5. Remove Trust established in step 3

6. Disconnect 2 networks.

7. Finished

Am I missing any thing? Will I need to recreate permissions on network shares?

Thanks,
          Rich

Comment

Sounds OK on a quick review but others may comment on it in more detail
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X