Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising Forest and Functional Levels?

Hi

I saw one post about this issue from [email protected].

I have a Windows 2003 Interim mode domain. All the NT4 DCs are gone. So right now the two windows 2003 active directory DCs are still running in this "nt4 compatibility mode"

What are the correct steps for raising the domain and forest functional levels?

Should I just follow the MS article ID 322692? There seems to be allot of caveats on the proper way to do this and I would like to not screw things up this late in the game.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Re: Raising Forest and Functional Levels?

In your case this should be quite streight forward according to http://support.microsoft.com/default...22120121120120

If you are in paranoid mode, make a System State backup of both DCs and perform the change, while the DC that is not PDC Emulator is offline (this way, you will be able to take "raised" PDCE offline and bring back the second DC if things go wrong).
    Just make sure that both DCs are also GCs and that the clients are pointing to both DCs as their DNS servers.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and report back next week.

DS

Comment

Re: Raising Domain and Forest Functional Levels?

Hi GuyT

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to ask. If I take your good advice and take secondary DC offline and then raise the PDC emulator will the off line DC automatically figure out the forest and domain functional have been raised and require no additional configuring after I bring it back online??

Comment

> will the off line DC automatically figure out the forest and domain functional have been raised and require no additional configuring after I bring it back online??

Correct. AD replication takes care of it.

Comment

Thanks to all. I will not be able to try this until next week. I will report back.

DS

Comment

Hi

The title of this thread shold read "Raising Domain and Forest and Functional Levels"

At any rate as I said I would check in when I did this.

It was cake especially cause the network was small. I followed the directions in the MS article referenced in this thread. I performed the steps in the order that article recommended. The whole thing was done in seconds, with few event log messages to show it happened. Plus I checked the levels with the AD admin tools to also verify.

It seemed like all clients picked up the changes (if you looked at their computer properties etc)

The only weird thing is that the old NT4 netbios name seemed to still be around. I would have expected this name to have been replaced with the new Active Directory domain name? Do I need to remove these computers from the domain and re-join them for the new AD name to be reflected (like in the domain box at the logon screen)?

Thanks
              DS

Comment

That's a common misunderstanding. An AD domain really has two names, that in theory may be completely different: the NETBIOS name and the DNS name. The NETBIOS name does not change and does not go away when you raise the domain level. It remains as important as it ever was.

Comment

Working...
                X