No announcement yet.

Perform an Active Directory Authoritative Restore using a flat file backup

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perform an Active Directory Authoritative Restore using a flat file backup

I am currently building a small test isolated active directory environment. I have installed and deployed 2 DC's and my AD is up and running.
    Now i need to perform an authoritative restore on the test DC's using a recent production system state backup copy.

Our environment uses a different backup solution which also backups the System State Backup. I asked my storage guy for a recent system state backup to be restored to an alternate location as I would be using that to restore the test AD environment. Unfortunately, he has restored the whole backup in a flat file format, not as a VHD as I would have hoped for restoring a 2008 R2 AD. Has anyone tried using this native method of restoring the active directory?
    For example, there is an Active Directory folder which has the ntds.dit and the edb check files. There is another folder the SYSVOL folder, and a bunch of other folders like the Registry, WMI, etc.
    Just need to restore Active Directory.....

Has anyone tried this before and can provide some guidance?
    Many thanks.

Only thing I can think of is to build a new (empty) AD database - a whole new domain - then use CSVDE or LDIFDE to bring in the objects from the CSV (or Powershell to process it)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **