No announcement yet.

Get list of users who logged into Domain Controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get list of users who logged into Domain Controller

Hello All,

We have four domain controllers (additional DCs) in our windows 2003 domain. I would like to see the list of users logged on to each DC, and if there's a way to transfer the active logon from one DC to another...probably a command line stuff?

We restart some of the servers even in the middle of working hours for certain reasons, so it would be great if i can moved the logged on users to another to not interrupt their work!!!!

Last edited by Insaf; 11th August 2010, 11:18.
    Insaf Muhammed
    System Admin
    Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Re: Get list of users who logged into Domain Controller

Our users log into one of several DCs, and you can tell which one from the client by the %LOGONSERVER% environment variable.

That's on the client, though. Running "net user /domain USERNAME" can tell you when they logged in, but not which server they used.

I don't think you can transfer a login from one DC to another. I'm not sure what you could transfer.

Do you have user profiles set to a particular server? If all DCs are in the same domain, can you turn on replication. Then when a user logs in, they'll get the same login script no matter which server they login to.

The only way I can think of to keep track of which server a user logs in to would be to add a line like this to their logon script:

echo %DATE% %TIME% %USERNAME% %LOGONSERVER% >> SomeWritable.File

Then you would have a searchable list of who is logged in where, something like this:

Wed 08/11/2010 7:24:51.45 Acct0105 \\ACCTDC1
    Wed 08/11/2010 7:29:43.16 Acct0093 \\ACCTDC1
    Wed 08/11/2010 7:36:23.50 Acct0054 \\ACCTDC2

Hope this helps.

Re: Get list of users who logged into Domain Controller

This thread is about force rediscovery. Especially review the two posts #15 and #23 there.

The NLTest tool is installed with the Windows XP support tools that is on the CD.
      (Or, you can use RefreshDCCache)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts