Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving between domains with same name

Hi,
    I have a question, has anyone moved a computer between two domains with the same name?

Issue is: Two offices, with different domains with same name.

Moving computer between offices, will there be issues of removing computer off one domain and joing the other? bare in mind they have the same domain name?

You advice is appreciated?
    Last edited by wing; 10th August 2010, 13:52.

Re: Moving between domains with same name

Domain name does not matter (except with the same name, you cannot establish a trust)

Only solution is to:
    Disjoin from first domain
    Join to second domain

And find out who created two domains with the same name and do something nasty involving rubber hoses and rusty knives
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks!

I was thinking that would work too but just wanted to double check with smarter people like yourself.

I agree with working over the guy with rubber hoses and rusty knifes!

It was originally three sites with three individual domains with the same name.

Comment

I had that with 5 sites -- all the same domain name so no trusts possible. Ended up blowing away the whole infrastructure and starting from scratch
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thats what I am trying to avoid!

If you sure we can dis-join from one domain and join another without too much issues then thats good enough for me.

Comment

As far as moving computers goes, thats all
            If you need to access resources in the other domain it is a very different ballgame and if you have e.g. Exchange involved, things can get "interesting"

IMHO look at your current environment(s) and what you need to achieve and then plan it in total, not as individual activities
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I know what your saying, it is just the client is doesnt want to spend money so recommending a complete overhaul is out of the question.

Thanks again.

Comment

Clients "never" want to spend money
                Steven Roberts
                IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Client has a choice -- spend some money now or lots more later
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X