Licensing for Domain vs Non-Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing for Domain vs Non-Domain

Hi, this seems like a basic question but I'm struggling to get a definitive answer - Lets say I have 2 x Windows Server 2012 machines and 75 company users, am I right in thinking that it would be best (cost-wise) to buy a 3rd machine for Active Directory and buy 75x user CALS which will authenticate all users to the 2 main servers. Alternatively if I didn't have the 3rd machine I would have to buy 75x user cals for server 1 and 75x user cals for server 2 (=150x user cals).

Would someone be able to tell me if I have got that right please?

Thanks
    John

AFAIK licensing is not dependant on having AD available - you will need 75 user CALs which should be applicable to both servers.

Having said that
    a) the only authoritative answers on Microsoft Licensing are direct from Microsoft, in writing, and you choose the most cost effective of the 3 radically different answers the 2 salespeople you ask give you
    b) with 75 users, you have a lot of reasons to deploy AD anyway
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

with 75 users, you have a lot of reasons to deploy AD anyway
      And that is a typical British (was tempted to type English ) understatement.

1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I will be interested to learn the answer to this as well. I thought that CALs were per server and was told this was the case by a vendor when I asked. If it's not....
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Is this not the choice you (used to) make with licensing - per server or per user. The former would have required 75 CALs per server, but per user allows access to unlimited servers.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I will have to look into this and find out. Thanks.

Comment

I would start reading here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lice...s-license.aspx

For what its worth we always purchase user cals as opposed to server cals. All of our users have a device supplied by the company and they are typically the only people who access them.

Comment

I jumped the gun - it's user CAL's per OS. All our servers run a different OS. Phew

Comment

Working...
                X