Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• complete restructure

Hello,
    I would like to ask high level multiple domains merge question.
    It is just an idea but going to be accomplished by request of Big Bosses.
    I could be involved at some point, so would like to know opinions/knowledge of people who saw this kind of:

SCENARIO.

20 domains Forest with about 1300 users each.
    Multiple different types of applications in each domain and many are based on AD access.
    Domain trust is in place
    All domains are in one region

Nothing else

Management goal:

to merge all domains in ONE.

Sure that Microsoft will be involved...

Please opinions... Is it doable? What will a step by step plan? Should new forest be created and existing domains objects imported.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mla; 7th August 2015, 17:27.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Doable - yes, and probably without direct involvement of Microsoft. You would use ADMT.
    As far as a step by step plan goes, that would need far more information - you may want to get a consultant in for a week or so to analyse the environment, plan, and if you want, implement the migration. If you do it yourself, planning and preparation are the keys.

A new forest would probably be best as you can then choose what goes into it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

One more..
      Current Forest Functional Level is still 2003
      My domain is 2008.
      Would it be necessary to rise all domains levels and then forest to higher Level gradually?

I will start to look to ADMT and related ...

Thanks.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

No,the FFL can stay below the DFL if needed
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X