Domain Controller re-name isssue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Controller re-name isssue

I am really out of my league on this one so bare with me. I was attempting to replace the main DC of our domain and in doing so I created a new DC and had it up and running for a month or so. When I tried to make the move I demoted the old main DC, PDCServer, and tried to rename the PDC-new to PDCServer, but it said the account already existed. I tried a few different things with no luck so I gave up and renamed it to PDCServer1, rebooted, and just added a DNS entry for PDCServr back to it. This worked fine for a day and then I rebooted the DC and it came back up as PDCServer. Now active directory can't find it anymore. Thankfully once I had it working I added a backup DC, BackupDC, and everything is running off that. I can't rename it back to PDCServer1 because it says the account already exists and I can't DCPromo it because I am not certain what replicated and what did not. The BackupDC was only up for an hour or two before this happened.

I really need help on this one.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Re: Domain Controller re-name isssue

If you demote a DC it becomes a member server. The former DC is still joined to the domain.

Why are you renaming DCs?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

"Carpe FSMO" (well, try a graceful transfer first) on your BackupDC and get rid of all traces of the original ones (see article on the main site for metadata cleanup instructions
      Format the servers and rebuild them then rejoin domain, preferably under a new name and DCPROMO

btw, there is no such thing as a PDC or BDC any more -- all domain controllers are equal (but some are more equal than others )
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We seem to be fighting over the 'first reply' on more and more threads these days
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I am trying not to seize the roles because I am not certain that there was full replication, nothing in the event viewer indicates it finished, just that it started. I really don't think seizing is the way to go unless there is someway ti verify that it finished replicating.

I was renaming because the software we run is based on IP, but many other things we have are based on name.

I could not find the PDCServer computer account anywhere, the only thing that shows up is the PDCServer1 domain controller.

I also tried to add a secondary name with netdom, but it cannot find either account. Go figure its there when I don't want it and not when I do.

I know about the PDC thing, this was named before me. It does however hold all the roles.

Comment

If you need to reuse the same hostname, then the way I would do it would be to promote a temporary DC (on a spare workstation perhaps) with a name that won't need to be kept, then demote the old server, then promote the new one reusing the original name. I avoid renaming DCs wherever possible as things tend to get messy.

Just so you know for the future
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Believe me this will be the last time for a long time that I even touch active directory. What is the best way to verify replication on the backupDC so I can safely seize roles.

Comment

I once had to bite the bullet and call MS support (thankfully VL customers get a couple of free support calls) for this. Replmon said replication was complete and everything looked good, but as soon as we shut down the old DC, everything ground to a halt. The guy on the phone told me that while it's not written anywhere, he'd advise waiting up to a week for replication to complete.

In the real world that's not very... realistic... but I would advise giving it 24-48 hours even after you've checked the status and seen that things look good.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

So its back up and running and this what we did to get it going.

First off we checked that all the group, user and computer accounts existed on the backupDC. Then we seized roles from the PDC. After that we had to go into ADSI Edit and manually find all of the PDCServer1 entries and change them to PDCServer. After doing this the first time we had an issue starting netlogon service. So after looking into it for a few hours we looked into the ADSI Edit and found a few lingering dns references to PDCServer1, I think it was under default naming convention. After this was deleted netlogon came up and active directory was syncing again. We transferred the roles back to the PDC and after a night of replicating everything is happy again.

In case you are unfamiliar with ADSI edit, it is very much like a registry. Keep track of any changes you make and don't delete anything unless you are 100% sure that you know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrandrews View Post
                    In case you are unfamiliar with ADSI edit, it is very much like a registry. Keep track of any changes you make and don't delete anything unless you are 100% sure that you know what it is.
                    Be sure you have a backup of AD and know how to restore from it. With the registry, you can break a computer. With ADSIedit, you can break a company.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

I couldn't find you OS version, though
                      http://www.petri.com/rename-windows-...ontrollers.htm
                      http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_do...ler_rename.htm
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Small suggestion. Don't use PDC in a Server name as it gets real confusing when posting a question. Also, PDC was done away with when Windows 2000 Server was brought out. You do get a PDC Emulator but this is not to be confused with the NT 4.0 Server PDC acronym.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X