problem deploying Flash 10.1 msi thru GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem deploying Flash 10.1 msi thru GPO

The deployment process I did was a follows and seemed to work for the most part.

Signed up with Adobe and received the latest install_flash_player_active_x.msi file for my XP IE 7 users. Put it in a folder on a server which all users have permissions to access.
    Created a GPO and did software deployment on Computers NOT Users. Linked the GPO to and OU with the workstations I want to have Flash.
    After I reboot the users PCs, I can see the msi package install before the login window appears so the GPO is being pushed. Now when the user account logs on, then they go to Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > the application Flash Player Active X now shows up in the list. Seems like it must be installed but when the user goes to a Flash required site it is asking for flash player to be installed or the window is blank because it doesn't see the flash player as being installed.
    Why isn't Flash installing completely so XP SP3 recognizes it? Not sure what else I can do. THis is a legit Flash player active X 10.1.53.6 msi file downloaded from Adobe and the GPO is pushing it to the workstations fine.

Thanks for any advice.
    sman

Re: problem deploying Flash 10.1 msi thru GPO

What browser are you using? You need a different "type" of Flash player for IE (ActiveX) than for other browsers (plugin).

I'd strongly recommend that you look at other means of deploying software to your workstations - using Group Policy deployment is hit and miss at best.

I've not tried it yet as I only came accross it earlier today, but http://www.adminarsenal.com/pdq-deploy/trailer/ seems worth a look.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you GForceindustries,

I was using the correct active x flash player for ie but it just doesn't work through GPO. Read about other people having the same issue and thought it was just the file that adobe provided.

I did play around with APP DEPLOY and really like it. Super simple to use and it shot Flash player out right away and didn't have to mess with GPOs.

Thanks again.
      sman

Comment

No worries. GPO deployment is a great idea but there are so many things that break it, and when it breaks, it BREAKS.

Particularly if you enable uninstallation of the software when the policy is unlinked.

I once inherited a system of around 30 workstations with SBS 2003, where the previous admin had deployed around 20 packages through Group Policy to every workstation. Some were small and fairly trivial, some of them were multi-gigabyte installations that killed the workstation for half an hour when it was being installed. One day a DNS problem caused every machine to think the policy had been unlinked, then re-linked. Every machine uninstalled and reinstalled the software at the same time. Even with a gig link to the backbone, the server couldn't keep up. It took 3 days for all the machines to finish all 20 installations and there was absolutely nothing we could do to cancel it once it started. The only way we got anything done was by me hooking up my laptop (as in my personal laptop) to the network and installing the CAD package on there, so at least the sales office could still pretend to get some work done...

That alone convinced senior management to spend money on SCCM
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X