No announcement yet.

Selective delegation in a OU

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selective delegation in a OU

Hello all,

We have an OU with many users and there's no way for us to split them or classify them in sub-OUs because theirs locations change very often.

Is there a way to delegate control to a technician for password modification only on a part of those users ? Not to the full OU ?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Re: Selective delegation in a OU

One option is to directly modify the Access Control List directly on the User's account. You would create an Access Control Entry which would provide the necessary permissions to give another group or user the ability to reset the password.

However, this approach could be quite intensive and hard to keep track of, depending on the number of user accounts you would target.

This approach will also provide the ability to retain these custom settings when you move the user account to another OU.
    buy easy vape
    Last edited by [JM]; 24th January 2011, 18:12.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting

mmm thanks for the answer.

That's what i thought. It will be too big to manage if we want to do it this way.

You answer well to my question because now i know that's possible.

We will have to think twice about our OU implementation.

Remember OUs should be designed to aid IT management, i.e. GPO application and delegated control. If location is an issue, consider using sites as a GPO tool and keep your OUs for delegation purposes
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **