Sysvol and Netlogin not shared on new DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sysvol and Netlogin not shared on new DC

We currently have a 2008 box at a client's site that was installed 2 years ago. We are in the process of installing a new server with 2008 R2 and removing the old one.

I ran dcpromo, let DNS be installed and configured then after reboot I transfered all roles by comman line. Everything looked good until I realized today (when I am about to demote and remove the old server) that sysvol and netlogin are not shared. I noticed it when the MMC kept connecting to the old server.

Crap!

I have tried some of the tricks out there like creating a registry entry to force the share but that did not work. Any advise as to where I should start? Should I transfer the roles all back and try again?

I have had this happen before and but never followed the issue to resolution as we had some bad hardware issues and the server was ultimately replaced.

Re: Sysvol and Netlogin not shared on new DC

Double post flagged. Please read the forum rules.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

How do I remove from Server 2008 forum, I realized after the fact it was not the optimal place for it...

Comment

A moderator will need to do that.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

So what do I do for now? I assumed you were one...

Comment

It is being done
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Error message logged...

Log Name: Directory Service
              Source: Microsoft-Windows-ActiveDirectory_DomainService
              Date: 7/9/2010 5:19:18 PM
              Event ID: 2092
              Task Category: Replication
              Level: Warning
              Keywords: Classic
              User: ANONYMOUS LOGON
              Computer: LEX2010.ermc2.local
              Description:

This server is the owner of the following FSMO role, but does not consider it valid. For the partition which contains the FSMO, this server has not replicated successfully with any of its partners since this server has been restarted. Replication errors are preventing validation of this role.

Operations which require contacting a FSMO operation master will fail until this condition is corrected.

FSMO Role: DC=ermc2,DC=local

User Action:

1. Initial synchronization is the first early replications done by a system as it is starting. A failure to initially synchronize may explain why a FSMO role cannot be validated. This process is explained in KB article 305476.
              2. This server has one or more replication partners, and replication is failing for all of these partners. Use the command repadmin /showrepl to display the replication errors. Correct the error in question. For example there maybe problems with IP connectivity, DNS name resolution, or security authentication that are preventing successful replication.
              3. In the rare event that all replication partners being down is an expected occurance, perhaps because of maintenance or a disaster recovery, you can force the role to be validated. This can be done by using NTDSUTIL.EXE to seize the role to the same server. This may be done using the steps provided in KB articles 255504 and 324801 on MS support site

The following operations may be impacted:
              Schema: You will no longer be able to modify the schema for this forest.
              Domain Naming: You will no longer be able to add or remove domains from this forest.
              PDC: You will no longer be able to perform primary domain controller operations, such as Group Policy updates and password resets for non-Active Directory Domain Services accounts.
              RID: You will not be able to allocation new security identifiers for new user accounts, computer accounts or security groups.
              Infrastructure: Cross-domain name references, such as universal group memberships, will not be updated properly if their target object is moved or renamed.

Comment

And this...

Log Name: File Replication Service
                Source: NtFrs
                Date: 8/2/2010 5:49:27 PM
                Event ID: 13508
                Task Category: None
                Level: Warning
                Keywords: Classic
                User: N/A
                Computer: LEX2010.ermc2.local
                Description:
                The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from CORPORATE.ermc2.local to LEX2010 for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name CORPORATE.ermc2.local. FRS will keep retrying.
                Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name CORPORATE.ermc2.local from this computer.
                [2] FRS is not running on CORPORATE.ermc2.local.
                [3] The topology information in the Active Directory Domain Services for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.

Comment

Working...
                X