W2000 AD rename using NT4 method - please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2000 AD rename using NT4 method - please help

We have a very flat windows 2000 active directory that needs to be renamed. I have tried renaming it using the NT4 method (preferred) and the 2003 method. In both cases, I get active directory renamed, but I am unable to login to the domain using member workstation/servers.

When logging into the domain from an XP client after the rename is complete, I get:
    Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If the message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance.
    I triple checked IP/DNS/WINS settings. I'm not sure what is wrong.

-inf

Re: W2000 AD rename using NT4 method - please help

Did you follow the steps listed here? http://www.petri.com/w2k_domain_rename.htm

Have you tried deleting and recreating an account for a client machine and then seeing if it will connect?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Could you tell us in a bit more detail what you did? And did you realize that if you rename the W2000 domain using the NT4 BDC/PDC trick you still have not changed the netbios name which is effectively what users see?

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        Did you follow the steps listed here? http://www.petri.com/w2k_domain_rename.htm

Have you tried deleting and recreating an account for a client machine and then seeing if it will connect?
        Yes. I followed that and reviewed the MS KB article as well. Renaming works, but apparently once windows XP authenticates to AD, it won't authenticate to a lower being. (NT4). So, i tried doing an upgrade immediately from nt4 to w2k, but the member computers don't play well. I tried using netdom to resolve the problem, no luck.

I removed the computer from AD and re-added it. Rebooted the workstation, but I was unable to login.

any tips/ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
          Could you tell us in a bit more detail what you did? And did you realize that if you rename the W2000 domain using the NT4 BDC/PDC trick you still have not changed the netbios name which is effectively what users see?
          I followed the link biggles77 mentioned. I don't want to rename the netbios name, just get rid of the ".com".

Has anyone does this rename with WindowsXP clients successfully or is it just theory? It appears to me that it might work with W2k clients, but XP seems a little more picky.

-inf

Comment

> It appears to me that it might work with W2k clients, but XP seems a little more picky.

Thinking about this, they should both fail. W2000/XP is tied to a DNS domain, and if it is gone, it cannot find the domain anymore. A re-join is probably the best solution.

Comment

Working...
            X