Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD FS, Template for the certificate

Hello,

I am studying AD FS, Federation services.

I am reading a manual and, in it, it is said that you have to choose the "web server" certificate template for the Federation server.

When I issue certificates to my computers in my Active Directory scenarios, I always go for the "computer" certificate template, rather than the "web server" certificate template.

As far as I remember, it is the same with Exchange, you have to choose the "web server".

Why is it so?, Is it not possible then to choose the "computer" certificate template?
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Any certificate issued is based on a template, and different templates are available, based on what the certificate is used for. A 'computer certificate' is usually for that computer to authenticate itself as a client to something else (such as Remote Desktop logins). If you want to host a web service using a certificate, be it webmail or an SSL-secured page, the certificate used must be built using the 'web server' template. You want the certificate to not only verify the name of the server to the client that requests the service, but also that the server in question is allowed to offer the service you're seeking. And the different templates do that.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks RicklesP,

I don't know much about Federation services yet , but as far as I know it is not to host a web service.

Your explanation is awesome, thanks for it !
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

You're very welcome.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X