No announcement yet.

Adding domain users to local (workgroup) server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding domain users to local (workgroup) server

I have built a server 2003 R2 in a workgroup. This server will not be joined to the domain.

I want to know how i can add domain admins to this local (workgroup) server?

Right now i can get connected to this server (which is hosting IT only docs), by going to \\server2003\it directory and i am prompted with login (which is just fine and what i want), but i can only use the local admin id and password.

i want to be able to use my domain id and as well as other network admins.

is this possible?

Re: Adding domain users to local (workgroup) server

The workgroup server needs to see the directory to query the person trying to log on. If the server is not part of the domain it cannot query the AD database.

Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

i am also trying to do so

Either join it to the domain, or you will need to create local user accounts for each user on the server.

Why don't you want it connected to the domain?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Its not possible to add any domain groups to a non-domain member's local groups.
          Last edited by [JM]; 24th January 2011, 18:13.
          JM @ IT Training & Consulting