Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed users name and now have access issues !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed users name and now have access issues !

Hi All,

I have a very strange issue. (windows server sbs 2003)
    One of my staff has recently got married, i changed her details in active directory to show her new married name, but under the same account details. (ie i didnt set up a new user).
    She came back this week and all was fine.
    Now though, she has times when she can login but cant access the file server, or any shares on the server.
    Then all of a sudden she can again, then it goes off once again.

I have done this many times before without problems so i am stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Re: Changed users name and now have access issues !

Hi rmd94, and welcome.

You are correct, this is a simple procedure.

This isn't down to more people accessing the file shares than you are licensed for is it? And maybe you are treating it is a name change issue? Common problem with file access under SBS2003.

How many licenses do you have? How many people are concurrently using the system?

Worth a go

Ste
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Hi Ste,

Thanks for your reply.
      Nope, not a licensing issue, as she has replaced herself as a user. I did not add her i just renamed her, therefore using the existing license anyway.
      And even if licensing was tight, which its not,( We have about 15 spares at the moment). we would have the same intermittent issues with other users, however nobody else is reporting any problems.

Regards

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

This is a weird one. Do you get any even log errors or the like?

If it just one user, it sounds like it could be a dodgy account, I know these are few and far between, but it sounds like it could be a recreation job.

If you do solve this issue I would like to know what it was.

Ste
        Steven Roberts
        IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Nope, no errors in the event log.

Tried something simple to try and cure it. I have simply changed her password, to see if the changing of the name has somehow confused things a little. By changing her login password maybe things will sync up?? Who knows. Its working at the moment, she has access to everything, we will see if things stay the same, as it is an intermittent problem.

If this fails i think i will just have to trash the account and set up from scratch, that causes its own issues due to the legacy email account.

Fingers crossed !

Comment

How did oyu rename the account???

Comment

I renamed the account in active directory, users and computers.

Comment

Yes but how did you you it???

Did you just open up the user account and changed the names or did you right click the user and select rename??

Comment

Right click, rename, and then went through the process of changing the surname in each field.

Comment

Shouldn't have caused any issues as i've done it many times using the same method with no issues.

Are there any errors on the client machine???

Comment

Me too, done it loads of times.

No errors on the client machine. Really really strange. Goes off at just after 1 ish uk time, no access for he afternoon. Next morning all is fine again.

Changing the password did not fix it.

Might have one more go and completely renaming her account again and see if that fixes it, if not, account is going to be deleted and then setup from scratch. Just hope the email account re-attachs, as i have never done that before.

Comment

Check for restricted log on hours
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian, it was the 1st thing i had checked !

Comment

Working...
                          X