Group Policy option from AD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy option from AD

Im running Server 2012 at home on a vm to play about with, why cant I right click on an OU and select group policy from within AD, it doesnt come up as an option.

Thanks

I don't think that option is there anymore - just checking Server 2012R2 and there is no Group Policy option anywhere in AD Users and Computers - you need to launch Group Policy Management instead
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How do you link a policy to an ou, I can't seem to see how you do this, I can create the policy but can't see how you link it to whatever ou you want.

Comment

In Group Policy Management Console, drag from the policies container to the OU, alternatively right click an OU and "Link an Existing GPO"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ye I thot that but I can't even see the ou in gpmc

Comment

Something very wrong with AD then - presumably you have expanded the forest/domain node?
            Try a different DC - right click the domain node and "change DC"

Can you see other OUs?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

All working now Ossian, I had put the user into the default user container and it wasnt showing, so I created a new OU called Glasgow, then users and computers, these are now showing in GP and should now be able to do want I want. You wouldnt think I've passed the 2012 server exam lol.

Thanks alot for your help.

Comment

No problem - I always have to remember that the User and Computer "containers" aren't really special - they are just a way of reducing the number of objects visible directly under the domain
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X