Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weee Problems

Hello All

Was wondering if anyone can give some advice. we have added a new class B subnet on to our exisiting class C's, the network is laid out as follows:

SRV1: AD/DC,GC,DNS and split class C DHCP
    SRV2: AD/DC,GC,DNS and split class C DHCP

I added an additional DHCP server to cover the class B range and also an additional DNS server to reside on the class B subnet. The dns server was basically setup as a zone transfer from the master DNS server on SRV1.

My problem seems to be, that after startup or restart of a machine we have to wait for upto 80seconds or two failed logins, then we can finally login to the domain.

Or we manage to get a connection first time, but cannot locate the server based profiles.

But once connected speeds and dns resolution are very fast!!

We are connected via both subnets using Cisco 2950 switches connected to our main gigabit router.

Any words of wisdom would really help me at min.

Cheers
    Last edited by fanturex; 21st September 2005, 21:24.

Re: Weee Problems

Sounds like a typical DNS problem. Either the machine cannot find DNS, or there are records missing.

> The dns server was basically setup as a zone transfer from the master DNS server on SRV1.

That is unusual and probably wrong. Active Directory has integrated zones that do not require zone transfers. The DNS records propagate using AD replication. I'd fix that first.

some tooling to check DNS: run dcdiag and netdiag from the support tools; run that on all DC's.

Comment

Have tested both srv1&2 with netdiag and dcdiag and no problems are listed, everything has passed the tests.

The additional server setup on the class B subnet has been setup as a secondary DNS server.
      Last edited by fanturex; 22nd September 2005, 11:34.

Comment

Are ALL your clients experiencing this same issue or is it just a select few?

When you manage to get onto the client and run ipconfig /all do you get the correct DNS server address?

If so, can you ping the server?

If so, can you run an nslookup on the server with some test queries ?

topper
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Yep once connected there is no problems and all machines can ping the servers and other services on the network.

The problem seems to be the initial login session, its taking around 80secs before we can successfully engage a connection.

Comment

Its a dns problem, I have just done a nslookup on a new workstation and it cannot find the server > IP, what a nightmare!!!

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup serv1
            DNS request timed out.
            timeout was 2 seconds.
            *** Can't find server name for address 193.xxx.xxx.xxx: Timed out
            Server: UnKnown
            Address: 193.xxx.xxx.xxx

Name: serv1.xxx.local
            Address: 193.xxx.xxx.xxx

I have allways had the IP's on the server's own DNS connection listed as follows:

DNS1: 193.xxx.xxx.xxx SRV1 primary IP
            DNS2: 193.xxx.xxx.xxx SRV2 primary IP

Should I try the localhost IP 127.0.0.1 as the first IP on all servers

Comment

It's always a DNS problem !!!

It's just not finding the appropriate PTR record.

Setup a reverse lookup zone for your subnet(s), then create the appropriate record for your DNS server.

topper

Comment

Have just restarted our primary dns server and now have the following: 4515 errors listed is there any quick fix for this problem as well.

Cheers

Comment

Did you remove the Secondary zone and create another ?

Is the Zone on your primary server an ADI zone or just standard primary zone ?

This error occurs when there are basically 2 copies of the zone floating around your directory partitions, it may just be waiting for replication to occur to rid the old copy, or you may have set it up incorrectly leaving 2 copies around is not good and should be fixed ASAP.

topper

Comment

Am using AD Intergrated across srv2 and srv1, have added the ptr records for the servers and now across the class C 193.xxx.xxx.xxx subnet machines have no problem resolving the domain and can login into the machines as soon as they start.

On the class B subnet 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, I have now made the default DNS servers that of those on the class C 193.xxx.xxx.xxx SRV1 & SRV2, but the problem still exists, even though all nslookups work perfect!!!

Cheers

Chris

Comment

You could try giving your class B DNS server to the class B's via DHCP and then put in SERV1 and SERV2 as the forwarders. These will then inturn forward to your ISP name servers.

Not pretty and may not work, but maybe worth a shot if your at that stage of trying to put your own head through the side of the server cabinet ;o)

Good Luck mate

Dean
                      Last edited by DeanPorter; 22nd September 2005, 14:11.

Comment

Am at total meltdown have added forwarders and they still do not help, time for beer and a smoke!!!!

Many thanks will keep on trying to sort this one out.

Chris

Comment

Calm down. Did you follow up on Toppers advice to remove the duplicate zones? Seems to me that you are digging a big hole for yourself here. You should be able to work this out.

You should end up with only AD integrated zones; no secondaries, no zone transfers, and certainly no forwarders (at least not for AD).

Comment

Many thanks it appeared to be a problem with our Cisco switches a setting in place by default across all switches and our core router (portsafe) once disabled all seems to be working fine.

Many thanks

Comment

Thanks for the update. I guess that when everything goes completely weird we should look to outside causes first

Comment

Working...
                              X