Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Additional Domain Controller (Server 2008)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Domain Controller (Server 2008)

I have a 1 domain controller (server 2008 ) installed, with DNS – integrated AD and DHCP running.
    I want to install another server 2008 DC for redundancy purposes – so if DC fails the additional DC takes over, simple..but I’m reading a lot of conflicting ideas.
    I would just like some clarification on how to do this.

• How would I set up the DNS? Do I run dcpromo on the 2nd server and let it automatically add DNS? Or setup DNS before running dcpromo and set it up as a secondary zone?
    • How should I setup DHCP? By using the 80/20 rule? Or by using the exact same scopes on both servers but 1 with a lower lease time?

Much appreciate any feedback.
    Last edited by Ossian; 19th July 2010, 15:29.

Re: Additional Domain Controller (Server 200

DNS will need to be installed separately after DCPromo. Make sure you specify AD integrated and zones should automatically be replicated.
    Have each DC reference the other for secondary DNS, also add secondary to DHCP DNS servers

For DHCP, either use 80/20 or 50/50 -- setting out two identical scopes will lead to trouble!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

should I setup the DNS zone as secondary on DC2? Also do I need to make any further configurations i.e. add DC2 as a name server on DC1 and allow it to be updated? Thanks

Comment

No, the DNS zone should be Active Directory Integrated, so the same zone is available on both DCs

Yes, you should make the additional DC a name server
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Make the DNS serevr AD integrated, so the secondary option won't be applicable. Just as a secondary DNS server IP address for TCP-IP/DHCP.

You will need to prepare the existing 2000 domain for the 2008 DC. Google should help locate procedures for that process.

Comment

thanks for the tips.

I'm already on 2008 it just didn't display correctly in the original post.

Comment

Working...
            X