Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Migration

HI

What are the different migration tools in AD and which tool is used more and why ??
    Can any one please help me on this .. Its appreciable

Thank you

Re: Active Directory Migration

Can you give us a bit more detail about the migration project:
    What is the current domain and forest FL?
    What are you migrating to?
    How many users / computers?
    Anything else you consider relevant?

Depending on your answers, we may be able to give a considered response
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In AD the migration takes place from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 . Basically we first need to insert the CD and that copy a folder we need to paste it on C drive in the local computer on server 2003 and then we needed to run few commands in the command prompt and then when we upgrade it the installation of server 2008 takes place .. This is the actual and simplest process , But i came to know that they are few migration tools involved in this process and i needed to know where to use the tools and what tools we need to use

Comment

Are you wanting to upgrade your domain controllers to Server 2008?

If so, you need to run ADPREP from the Server 2008 media. This should be done on the PDC emulator. You will need to run 32 or 64 bit depending on your current architecture.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes i do know all that process

But i just wanted to know about the MIGRATION TOOLS IN ACTIVE DIRECTORY . Are there any tools as such if so any can u guide me through them ..

Comment

For general queries like this is better to do your own research or at least provide some more specific information, such as what tools are you talking about (there are hundreds out there) and what scripts (again plenty to choose from)?
            Google is a good place to start.
            Also what data do you need to migrate?
            If you need a full migration then ADMT is a good tool to use (version of the tool depends on the server you migrate to and from), If you just need the usual objects migrating and not all the attributes, then scripting could be the way to go.

Ah, and there is no need to SHOUT, we can hear you.
            Last edited by L4ndy; 15th July 2010, 00:16.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I have tried in google and i could get few migration tools in Active Directory and there are

1.Altiris PC transplant pro
              2.Desktop DNA
              3.Fastlane Suite
              4.IBM Global Services
              5.net Octopus
              6.on icommand
              7.Tranxition migration studio
              8.Windows 2000 rediness advisor

These tools i have found can you please tell me which is best and more frequently used in upgrading my server .

Comment

Nicely extracted from this I take it: http://www.adminfavorites.com/migration/
                The trouble is apart from one or two that can do AD migration, none of them on the list will come to your aid in this scenario, unless I have misunderstood what you are after.
                As I said ADMT could be your best tool.
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

@navnit: Please DONT SHOUT
                  In your first post you talk about migrating AD -- typically creating a whole new forest and moving objects to it (on new hardware)
                  In your second post it appears you describe the upgrade process on the same hardware.
                  In your third post you SHOUT because we do not understand what you are asking for.

If you explain more clearly what you are trying to do, and maybe what experience and qualifications you have so we can pitch the answers at the correct level, you may get some better help. At the moment all I can see is you want a tool to do a task.
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X