AD install. SAN hosts SUSE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD install. SAN hosts SUSE?

I have recently started a new job in charge of IT at a small-ish company (30 people). They are running Novell for a directory and are deperate to move over to AD. My pre-deccesor was an avid open-source fan, all the servers are linux (red hat, suse, debian). The SAN hosts are SUSE 10 sp2 and I presume the file system is ext3.

All the databases are firebird and web services are provided by apache2. The workstations are windows or MAC.

What is everyones (high level) view on the best way to migrate this type of network to AD? I believe the SAN hosts are going to need to be windows servers with NTFS FS to play well with AD, is this correct?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly apprieciated.

Re: AD install. SAN hosts SUSE?

have you done any research on it at all yet ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

There is an application that allows replication of all eDirectory accounts into AD, but for only 30 users, it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

Do you have to install on existing hardware?

Perhaps look at Hyper V server (free and supports live migration if you need a level of HA) or ESX on the 2 machines connected to the SAN. P2V app/db servers, provision a virtual AD DC (and manually create the users), and restore the app/db servers as VMs.

You would be running some Linux servers in parallel with Windows to start with, but you can then phase the install. You can gradually move different services to Windows (virtual) servers. I'm no expert with Apache or Firebird, but I'm pretty sure they run on Windows. At least if you've got an apache server running on Windows running in parallel with the Linux server, you can easily test the application/database to see how it works without too much impact.

Link to Hyper V Server page in case you haven't come across it: http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-ser...s/default.aspx

Comment

actually. you should also find out why they are so desperate to move to AD.

Does the current directory work ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          actually. you should also find out why they are so desperate to move to AD.

Does the current directory work ?
          Hi There,

The current directory works but doesn't offer the seemless integration with windows that they require. They wish to do away with the novell client. They are also looking at installing exchange, which would require AD.

In terms of research, I haven't done a massive amount (this is part of it). I do have to install on existing hardware. I know I can migrate the firebird and apache services to a windows server relatively easily. It's mainly the SAN and file storage side of things which is worrying me.

2x Dell EMC AX150i with 2 san hosts (iscsi connectors), both san hosts run Suse 10 and at this stage without delving deeper, I think it's safe to assume the file systems are ext3.

Comment

well. you can definitely run windows servers on that host.

your data would need to be migrated onto an NTFS volume (at least i'm assuming we're moving to a full windows platform then)

You'd also need to find a way to move all your existingobjects from the directory into the new directory. Not sure how this is done.... I can migrate or transition between AD and AD, but not sure about Novell.

does that help at all ?

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              You'd also need to find a way to move all your existingobjects from the directory into the new directory. Not sure how this is done.... I can migrate or transition between AD and AD, but not sure about Novell.
              I am not so bothered about the current directory contents, it is scarcly used mainly for share permissions (the shares are going to be trashed and recreated under NTFS and Win2008/AD), login scripts and printer mapping.

I guess I'm going to have to backup all the data, trash the SANs/Suse iSCSI hosts and rebuild on a Windows 2008/NTFS platform. Reinstate data.

Comment

sounds prettyy close

Comment

Make sure that your backups will let you get back to the existing configuration rather than just backing up data - as it's a major change you need to know that should a problem arise you can at least get back to a known good state.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                  X