No announcement yet.

Transitioning from 2003 to 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transitioning from 2003 to 2008

All of our existing domain controllers are Windows 2003 Std 32bit. We are looking to transition to Windows 2008 R2. To help eliminate hardware costs, we are considering virtualizing the bulk of our domain controllers (we use VMware). Any thoughts on the wisdom of virtualizing our domain controllers in our key locations?

Re: Transitioning from 2003 to 2008

It's definitely an option.

my suggestion would be to ensure you have a shared storage array, and at least 2 hosts in a HA cluster.

That way you can cope with the hardware failure
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Yes. We have our VM attached to SAN with HA on all hosts. We're assessing SRM for both of our datacenter's but as I have domain controllers in both location I'm not sure utilizing SRM for DC's would be of benefit.

Thanks for your response.

I would also strongly recommend that you keep at least one physical DC, particularly for the servers hosting FSMO roles. And if possible, one at each site.

Microsoft have toned down their opposition to virtualisation since the release of Hyper-V. They used to say thou shalt not virtualise all of your DCs, and thou shalt not virtualise Exchange etc at all. While support for virtualising under VMware is a somewhat murkier issue than under Hyper-V, they seem to be a lot more relaxed about it now.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.