Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcing a desktop authority system what is the best option

Hi all,

have recently started at a place where all users are allowed to install software at will, change PC settings and so on....obviously not a good scenario.

IT here have been looking at purchasing software that can manage all the PC's and enable IT policy to be enforced...no admin rights etc...

The software that has been suggested is very expensize, are there any options instead of spending heaps of money?

We have a windows 2003 based network with all the usual server roles and exchange

I mentioned group policy but management here seem to have a fear of it,

Re: Enforcing a desktop authority system what is the best option

The simplest way to remove admin rights is to use restricted groups in GP. GPOs are also your first port of call for most management and policy issues

Why are the mgmt afraid of it -- most tools will use it somewhere behind the scenes
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree with ossian - group policy is the way to enforce things.

simply create a test OU, create the policies you need, apply them to a test user and get it working the way you think it should.
      Then, approach management, say "this is how I've resolved the situation. The cost to us is $0, (except my time.) The cost for the solution you want to purchase is $XYZ. By utilising built in parts of existing software, which has wide community support and is known to work very effectively, I would be saving the company XZY.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

append:
        "How much of the saving will be added to my bonus?"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X