Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Directory Premission not working for Domain Users

Hi !
    I'm setting up a Shared Folder on one of my XP virtual Machines.
    it's running on a citrix Xen .
    it's a part of my domain .
    and it's I set up the shared folder premissions to "Domain Users "
    with "Change" & Read.
    Under the Security I also Added Domain Users with "Change Read , Write... "
    anything but full control.
    when I'm trying to Login with a domain user I'm getting an error that I don't have premission to view the folder .. etc etc.
    I made sure that the user is a part of the "Domain Users" group
    and also just for the hell of it changed it's primary group to Domain Users
    but that still won't change a thing .
    if I add the Used to the Shared folder Premission list / or another group that the user is a part of then everything is hunky dory .
    so basically I can just make a new group ..
    But that really makes me wonder why it isn't working .

Thanks alot for any help !

Nadi.

Re: Shared Directory Premission not working for Domain Users

are you accessing the shared folder over the network via a network map ie \\server\share, or directly when you log onto the computer ie C:\share
    ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi .
      Accessing the shares on UNC path
      \\ipaddress\sharename
      When I do
      Start ---> Run :
      \\Ipaddress\
      I see all the shares
      but when I dbl click the shares I get the Premission Error .

again if I go to the hosting computer and add another group the domain user is memeber of then it's working just fine (or the memeber's account name)
      but with the original Domain User builting group it's not working (and yes the user is a part of that group and i'm logged in with that user or the remote computer i'm trying to access from)

Thanks

Comment

Is the remote computer a domain member?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes ,
          The Remote computer is in the Domain , and the remote computer user logged in is a user @ Domain.

Comment

have you applied both Share-level and File-level permissions ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes , checked both tabs :
              Share Tab , Permissions , Added the Domain Users Group.
              Security Tab -- > Added the Domain Users .
              Gave Both "Change" Right..

and it's still not working
              The funny thing is , if I add the user it self to the "Share" -->Permissions
              then it's working alright ( or any other group the user is member of ) other than the
              Domain Users group.

Thanks

Comment

Have you checked the effective permissions of the shared folder on the workstation?
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

the principle of lowest privilege will apply - so with any combination of permissions, even if you have Full Control on the share, and an implicit deny on the actual file system, you won't get any access.

A deny will always override a permit, even if it's an explicit permit.

Take gfi's suggestion, and use the effective permissions tab. Also make sure you have no deny entries anywhere, although a deny that's effecting domain users, will also affect regardless of oter permissions,m and that doesn't sound like your situation.

Make sure you don't have inherited permissions overriding, or group policy enforcing file system permissions, soemthing like that.
                  Also make sure you have set sub-objects to inherit permissions.

Comment

Working...
                  X